we love to entertain you!
Anyone know where that comes from? Nup, didn't think so. I'll tell ya. There's a TV channel over here called Pro7 and their little motto is "We love to entertain you!" It's in English too....which is kinda funny....cos none of their programs are in English!! They just get big name celebrities to say that line for them and whack it on tv, but, the ironic thing is, that unless you've, (if you're German), hired movies and watched them in English, you wouldn't know what the actor or actress's real voice sounds like!!
Anyways....back to the line. Why am I bringing it up? Well, as you already know, I have been playing tennis over here. We have practise every second Wednesday in the sports hall. It's good fun! Steffen, the dude who does our training works out a whole heap of lil exercises for us to do, warm-up and then actual tennis skills. Some of them seem so silly, Sonya and I are always making faces at each other like 'What the...?!?' Steffen sometimes laughs at us and we're like 'This isn't fair!!! This isn't for our tennis, it's for your entertainment!!' And, a lil while ago, Steffen explained one of the drills, and it was so....meh! Then he said 'What is the catch line for Pro 7??' That's where it comes in - We love to entertain you!
So, on Wednesday, Steffen had a surprise for us.....he had a T-shirt for us both, and it said, yep you guessed it, 'We love to entertain you!' AND, he has a T-shirt that says 'I love to be entertained by you!' Oh man.....what a laugh!!! We paid him out and made him feel bad, but it was actually quite funny. :)
The other thing with tennis, is that I'm going to go on the training camp! In Croatia!!!!! I'm so excited!! It'll be a week of playing tennis for 90 mins each day! Woo hoo! I'm pretty lucky to be going, because it means I'll be having 5 weeks holidays....it's an awesome opportunity, would have hated to miss it, and it's only that my family are nice enough to take a week off so I can go!!
Now onto the last week and a bit!
Ummmm......oh, last Friday night, a popular cover band in Germany, called Shark played in Dettingen (the next town, like 1km away or something). After looking after the kids til just after 11, I went to the concert. The tennis club was selling drinks, so I was able to get in for free! (Saved 7€) I ended up staying in the kitchen, helping wash and dry the cups for the whole night! That was quite ok by me, cos we could see out the door to the band, and it's not like I knew anybody and could meet people....most of them smoked anyway....hehee....I chatted to the other people from tennis, and that was great :) So, the band had only started at 10, and they played I think 3 sets, finishing a lil after 2:30! They were a pretty good band! Played a lot of English songs, which was good :) and also some German ones which I of course did not know. Anyways, then we had to pack up and clean......finally got home at about 5:45am...jeepers I was tired!
Saturday night I went to Gegenwind again. That was good :) They had a girl who works for 'Jugend für Christus' - Youth for Christ. (Or maybe she's a volunteer....? Hmm....obviously didn't quite catch that bit of info amidst all the German.....!?!?!) But it was cool to chat with Elias and his sister Anna, who I met the first time. I also met Elias' girlfriend, Christraude - weird name huh??? But, it means 'trust in Christ'! Well, she was really really nice! Chatted to her for ages.
I ended up being invited out by Elias, Anna and Christraude on Sunday! They came and picked me up and then.....I DROVE TO HEIDENHEIM!!!! Hehee!! Was really funny!! Weird.... We got in the car and Anna asked if I had my liscence, and whether I was allowed to drive over here, and I was like yeah I do! Then Elias goes "Mochtest du fahren?" (Would you like to drive?) It was really cool! Not hard at all really. Just requires a lil more concentration when turning!!!! I did fine though. :)
We walked up to the castle, and all we could see was fog!! There's SO much of that here!!! It's kinda cool! Then, we had an icecream....naturally, when it's foggy and cold, that's what you do! :P Was yummy!! Strachiatella!!! Mmmm.....mmmmmmmm!!!
Hung out with them at their house for a while, then we went to some church 'thing' in the centre of H. I say 'thing' becasue it wasn't really a service, but I don't know what else to call it! We sang some songs, and there were 3 dudes sitting up the front (like at a press conference or something!) and one spoke for ages about a bible text. Then another song, then one of the other dudes talked for a while! So yeah...not too sure what to call that.....anyway, then we went upstairs and made pizzas!! Not all of the people who were there, just some of the youth from Gegenwind. :) Gisela drove me home....hehee...funny name, nice lady.
On Tuesday, Tabea (also from Gegenwind) picked me up and we drove just over an hour to Böblingen for the - ready for this? For the "Landesgemeinschaftskonferenz" Uh-huh. :) Basically, a whole lot of people from the Alpietistischer Gemeinschafts-Verband e. V. (evangelical church I think....) in Baden-Württemberg came together, sang songs, listened to a dude give a message, watched a children's musical, introduced some new workers (including the new youth worker), prayed, and yeah, just...hmm. Was interesting, even though I struggled a lot of the time to understand what was being talked about! Elias and Anna were there, so that was cool. They're lots of fun to hang out with. I learnt a cool word...it's squirrel in German - Eichhörnchen. Hehee! I couldn't say it properly on Tuesday, but I've got it down now! Elias couldn't say squirrel either!! Heheeee! Anyways, that was a good day!
Then, each of the last 3 afternoons I went to a Kinderbibelwoche (children bible week, pretty much holiday bible adventure thing). That was cool. There were 43 kids there, aged from 6-11 maybe? We had group time first, with songs, prayer, a psalm and a bible story. Then we split into groups. I was with 3 other chicks with 12 kids. Over the 3 days, we made a scroll with the kids. It was so funny, cos I couldn't understand everything they said, and sometimes they would say something, and we'd laugh. They laughed because what the kid said was funny or cute, and I laughed just because it was cute :D Was fun! Know a couple of cool German Jesus songs now! With actions! ;)
This has been a long post....I know, tut mir leid (sorry). Just think, it took me even longer to write because there were several times when I had to think for a while, in order to access the right word from my rapidly diminishing English vocab!!!! I'm guessing some of the sentences are a lil dodge too.....but I'm not gonna read through it....you can tell me in a comment! :P
Lots of love!!!!
Miss you all heaps!
Tschüs!
Vivien
Anyways....back to the line. Why am I bringing it up? Well, as you already know, I have been playing tennis over here. We have practise every second Wednesday in the sports hall. It's good fun! Steffen, the dude who does our training works out a whole heap of lil exercises for us to do, warm-up and then actual tennis skills. Some of them seem so silly, Sonya and I are always making faces at each other like 'What the...?!?' Steffen sometimes laughs at us and we're like 'This isn't fair!!! This isn't for our tennis, it's for your entertainment!!' And, a lil while ago, Steffen explained one of the drills, and it was so....meh! Then he said 'What is the catch line for Pro 7??' That's where it comes in - We love to entertain you!
So, on Wednesday, Steffen had a surprise for us.....he had a T-shirt for us both, and it said, yep you guessed it, 'We love to entertain you!' AND, he has a T-shirt that says 'I love to be entertained by you!' Oh man.....what a laugh!!! We paid him out and made him feel bad, but it was actually quite funny. :)
The other thing with tennis, is that I'm going to go on the training camp! In Croatia!!!!! I'm so excited!! It'll be a week of playing tennis for 90 mins each day! Woo hoo! I'm pretty lucky to be going, because it means I'll be having 5 weeks holidays....it's an awesome opportunity, would have hated to miss it, and it's only that my family are nice enough to take a week off so I can go!!
Now onto the last week and a bit!
Ummmm......oh, last Friday night, a popular cover band in Germany, called Shark played in Dettingen (the next town, like 1km away or something). After looking after the kids til just after 11, I went to the concert. The tennis club was selling drinks, so I was able to get in for free! (Saved 7€) I ended up staying in the kitchen, helping wash and dry the cups for the whole night! That was quite ok by me, cos we could see out the door to the band, and it's not like I knew anybody and could meet people....most of them smoked anyway....hehee....I chatted to the other people from tennis, and that was great :) So, the band had only started at 10, and they played I think 3 sets, finishing a lil after 2:30! They were a pretty good band! Played a lot of English songs, which was good :) and also some German ones which I of course did not know. Anyways, then we had to pack up and clean......finally got home at about 5:45am...jeepers I was tired!
Saturday night I went to Gegenwind again. That was good :) They had a girl who works for 'Jugend für Christus' - Youth for Christ. (Or maybe she's a volunteer....? Hmm....obviously didn't quite catch that bit of info amidst all the German.....!?!?!) But it was cool to chat with Elias and his sister Anna, who I met the first time. I also met Elias' girlfriend, Christraude - weird name huh??? But, it means 'trust in Christ'! Well, she was really really nice! Chatted to her for ages.
I ended up being invited out by Elias, Anna and Christraude on Sunday! They came and picked me up and then.....I DROVE TO HEIDENHEIM!!!! Hehee!! Was really funny!! Weird.... We got in the car and Anna asked if I had my liscence, and whether I was allowed to drive over here, and I was like yeah I do! Then Elias goes "Mochtest du fahren?" (Would you like to drive?) It was really cool! Not hard at all really. Just requires a lil more concentration when turning!!!! I did fine though. :)
We walked up to the castle, and all we could see was fog!! There's SO much of that here!!! It's kinda cool! Then, we had an icecream....naturally, when it's foggy and cold, that's what you do! :P Was yummy!! Strachiatella!!! Mmmm.....mmmmmmmm!!!
Hung out with them at their house for a while, then we went to some church 'thing' in the centre of H. I say 'thing' becasue it wasn't really a service, but I don't know what else to call it! We sang some songs, and there were 3 dudes sitting up the front (like at a press conference or something!) and one spoke for ages about a bible text. Then another song, then one of the other dudes talked for a while! So yeah...not too sure what to call that.....anyway, then we went upstairs and made pizzas!! Not all of the people who were there, just some of the youth from Gegenwind. :) Gisela drove me home....hehee...funny name, nice lady.
On Tuesday, Tabea (also from Gegenwind) picked me up and we drove just over an hour to Böblingen for the - ready for this? For the "Landesgemeinschaftskonferenz" Uh-huh. :) Basically, a whole lot of people from the Alpietistischer Gemeinschafts-Verband e. V. (evangelical church I think....) in Baden-Württemberg came together, sang songs, listened to a dude give a message, watched a children's musical, introduced some new workers (including the new youth worker), prayed, and yeah, just...hmm. Was interesting, even though I struggled a lot of the time to understand what was being talked about! Elias and Anna were there, so that was cool. They're lots of fun to hang out with. I learnt a cool word...it's squirrel in German - Eichhörnchen. Hehee! I couldn't say it properly on Tuesday, but I've got it down now! Elias couldn't say squirrel either!! Heheeee! Anyways, that was a good day!
Then, each of the last 3 afternoons I went to a Kinderbibelwoche (children bible week, pretty much holiday bible adventure thing). That was cool. There were 43 kids there, aged from 6-11 maybe? We had group time first, with songs, prayer, a psalm and a bible story. Then we split into groups. I was with 3 other chicks with 12 kids. Over the 3 days, we made a scroll with the kids. It was so funny, cos I couldn't understand everything they said, and sometimes they would say something, and we'd laugh. They laughed because what the kid said was funny or cute, and I laughed just because it was cute :D Was fun! Know a couple of cool German Jesus songs now! With actions! ;)
This has been a long post....I know, tut mir leid (sorry). Just think, it took me even longer to write because there were several times when I had to think for a while, in order to access the right word from my rapidly diminishing English vocab!!!! I'm guessing some of the sentences are a lil dodge too.....but I'm not gonna read through it....you can tell me in a comment! :P
Lots of love!!!!
Miss you all heaps!
Tschüs!
Vivien
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home