a better London post
Hello to you all!! Yep, I am still in London, still alive, still using the tube!! It's all good. Very easy to use, and it's quick!
It has been a tiring time since I posted on Wednesday morning......Kerryn and I finally found our hotel, at 9am, and were told we could only check in at 2:30 in the afternoon! Bummer! So, we ended up walking around Paddington, Bayswater (two touristy areas), Kensington Gardens, Kensington Palace, and a little bit of Hyde Park. We saw the Princess Di Memorial Fountain, after a bit of walking here and there!! I tell you what, the water was so nice to dunk your feet into after walking for hours! Oh, and we saw a squrriel! That was cool! Their tails look like a feather...
When we were too tired to keep walking, we went back to the hotel, a lil too early - it was only just after 1. And we sat and waited a bit more. Finally we got in to our room, (it took me ages to find it cos you go up and down, and it's like a warren in there!!!!), and it was TINY!!! But, there was a ledge that was cool to sit on and look down the street from. There was no shower, only a small bath...but that was ok, I like baths!! By 7:30, we were back in our room, after tea, ready for bed. The beds weren't that comfy, so it wasn't a great sleep, but we tried.
Thursday we went into London central. Walked around Trafalgar & Leicester Squares, Covent Gardens, found Big Ben ; ) and checked out a bit of the city. The we met some of Kerryn's friends who have been here a few months. We have been staying with them in their "house" about 15 mins by tube out of the city. It has been cramped, but sooo good to not have to spend money on accommodation!!! Tesco is UK's Coles/Foodland/Bi-Lo equivalent, and we have been there a lot!!!! Choc chip cookies, 49p! Woo hoo! Or, how about a packet of 'crisps', Prawn Cocktail flavour(!!!!!) for 29p! Moving on.....
Friday, we did nothing much, as a couple of other mates of Kerryn's arrived from Aus. It was nice to sit and relax for a day.
Yesterday, Kerryn and I did a lot of tourist stuff......We went on The Original Tour London Sightseeing - on the big red double decker bus. We started just before midday and got home aftfer 7......phew! The first thing we did was to go to St Pauls Cathedral, which is HUGE! We climbed up as far as we could go, and the view was awesome! Hard work, but worth it. Kerryn had a bit of trouble in a couple of places, cos there wasn't much space, but we managed. Our day included a free Thames Catamaran Cruise, which we did at the end of the day....good timing! It was nice and relaxing. So, we saw most of the city sites.
Today, we went to Buckingham Palace to 'see' the changing of the guard. I say 'see', cos I didn't!!! There were sooooo many people, that it was hardly worth it! They only do it every second day, so it's packed!!! Oh well....at least I can say I went, and that's enough for me. After that we walked through the Palace Mews (the place where all the carriages/horses/cars are kept and maintained). That was interesting. All the people who work in that area, all pretty much live there! Bizarre......Then we went on a tour through the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace - I know dad, waste of money.....- but it was pretty good. Every person had their own little handset and earphones to take them through the tour!! Talk about expense...... There is sooooo much fancy schmancy stuff in a lot of those rooms, no, ALL of the rooms, and it's very um, royal. How fitting. Anyway, it all seems very unnecessary to me. Unnecessary, but interesting.
It was 3pm by the time we finished there, and we were starved! After a bit of lunch, we went to Madame Tussauds (because we figured it would require less physical exertion than the Tower of London.....ha.......). I think we were there for a couple of hours, and it was good fun, although Kerryn wasn't much into posing with the waxies, so I had to do a couple of my own! It was worth it, good fun.
The only thing left for tomorrow is the Tower of London. Not sure if we'll go on the London Eye....it's pretty expensive.....so we'll see.
I've enjoyed checking out London, but I'm really looking forward to getting to Germany!! I'm really feeling the need to have some routine and just a normal life! Not that it will be by any means.....
So, that's enough from me, you've probably skipped most of it anyway!
I hope everyone is doing well, I miss you all, and the simplicity of home!!!! These Brits are a lil behind...........
Lots of love,
Vivien
PS Everyone keep Kirby in your prayers, she's still trying to get her visa for America!!!!!
It has been a tiring time since I posted on Wednesday morning......Kerryn and I finally found our hotel, at 9am, and were told we could only check in at 2:30 in the afternoon! Bummer! So, we ended up walking around Paddington, Bayswater (two touristy areas), Kensington Gardens, Kensington Palace, and a little bit of Hyde Park. We saw the Princess Di Memorial Fountain, after a bit of walking here and there!! I tell you what, the water was so nice to dunk your feet into after walking for hours! Oh, and we saw a squrriel! That was cool! Their tails look like a feather...
When we were too tired to keep walking, we went back to the hotel, a lil too early - it was only just after 1. And we sat and waited a bit more. Finally we got in to our room, (it took me ages to find it cos you go up and down, and it's like a warren in there!!!!), and it was TINY!!! But, there was a ledge that was cool to sit on and look down the street from. There was no shower, only a small bath...but that was ok, I like baths!! By 7:30, we were back in our room, after tea, ready for bed. The beds weren't that comfy, so it wasn't a great sleep, but we tried.
Thursday we went into London central. Walked around Trafalgar & Leicester Squares, Covent Gardens, found Big Ben ; ) and checked out a bit of the city. The we met some of Kerryn's friends who have been here a few months. We have been staying with them in their "house" about 15 mins by tube out of the city. It has been cramped, but sooo good to not have to spend money on accommodation!!! Tesco is UK's Coles/Foodland/Bi-Lo equivalent, and we have been there a lot!!!! Choc chip cookies, 49p! Woo hoo! Or, how about a packet of 'crisps', Prawn Cocktail flavour(!!!!!) for 29p! Moving on.....
Friday, we did nothing much, as a couple of other mates of Kerryn's arrived from Aus. It was nice to sit and relax for a day.
Yesterday, Kerryn and I did a lot of tourist stuff......We went on The Original Tour London Sightseeing - on the big red double decker bus. We started just before midday and got home aftfer 7......phew! The first thing we did was to go to St Pauls Cathedral, which is HUGE! We climbed up as far as we could go, and the view was awesome! Hard work, but worth it. Kerryn had a bit of trouble in a couple of places, cos there wasn't much space, but we managed. Our day included a free Thames Catamaran Cruise, which we did at the end of the day....good timing! It was nice and relaxing. So, we saw most of the city sites.
Today, we went to Buckingham Palace to 'see' the changing of the guard. I say 'see', cos I didn't!!! There were sooooo many people, that it was hardly worth it! They only do it every second day, so it's packed!!! Oh well....at least I can say I went, and that's enough for me. After that we walked through the Palace Mews (the place where all the carriages/horses/cars are kept and maintained). That was interesting. All the people who work in that area, all pretty much live there! Bizarre......Then we went on a tour through the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace - I know dad, waste of money.....- but it was pretty good. Every person had their own little handset and earphones to take them through the tour!! Talk about expense...... There is sooooo much fancy schmancy stuff in a lot of those rooms, no, ALL of the rooms, and it's very um, royal. How fitting. Anyway, it all seems very unnecessary to me. Unnecessary, but interesting.
It was 3pm by the time we finished there, and we were starved! After a bit of lunch, we went to Madame Tussauds (because we figured it would require less physical exertion than the Tower of London.....ha.......). I think we were there for a couple of hours, and it was good fun, although Kerryn wasn't much into posing with the waxies, so I had to do a couple of my own! It was worth it, good fun.
The only thing left for tomorrow is the Tower of London. Not sure if we'll go on the London Eye....it's pretty expensive.....so we'll see.
I've enjoyed checking out London, but I'm really looking forward to getting to Germany!! I'm really feeling the need to have some routine and just a normal life! Not that it will be by any means.....
So, that's enough from me, you've probably skipped most of it anyway!
I hope everyone is doing well, I miss you all, and the simplicity of home!!!! These Brits are a lil behind...........
Lots of love,
Vivien
PS Everyone keep Kirby in your prayers, she's still trying to get her visa for America!!!!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home